Wednesday 5 April 2017

Experimental

My experimental project

For my Experimental project I was tasked with producing an individual 60-90 second animated self-portrait using experimental techniques. I really enjoyed this project as it gave me a chance to think outside of the box and try and produce an animation using techniques I haven’t fully explored before. It gave me a chance to learn new ways to tell a short story.
I decided it would be funny to portray myself as a fugitive on the run. I moved a lot in my early childhood and I always loved crime and noir films about gangsters and criminals on the run, so I always felt a little bit like that I am on the run from the law. I came up with a short narrative where an interviewer is talking to a police commissioner about an escaped fugitive who is me.
Some of the techniques I used in this short animation were playing scale, rotoscpoing, adding cartoons into live action footage, playing with lighting, and scratching on film.
If I had more time to perfect the animation for the live action shot I would try and find a way to make stuff in the real world react with the cartoon characters like for example moving the curtains when my cartoon self-jumps out the window. However, I am very proud of my outcome and have learnt some new techniques for animation as well as storytelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment